From Sandy <snickerdoodl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: datanode not being started
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:26:22 GMT
Thanks for your responses.

I checked in the namenode and jobtracker logs and both say:

INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: IPC Server handler 6 on 9000, call
delete(/Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/hadoop-hadoop/mapred/system, true) from
127.0.0.1:61086: error: org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SafeModeException: Cannot
delete /Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/hadoop-hadoop/mapred/system. Name node
is in safe mode.
The ratio of reported blocks 0.0000 has not reached the threshold 0.9990.
Safe mode will be turned off automatically.
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SafeModeException: Cannot delete
/Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/hadoop-hadoop/mapred/system. Name node is in
safe mode.
The ratio of reported blocks 0.0000 has not reached the threshold 0.9990.
Safe mode will be turned off automatically.
        at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.deleteInternal(FSNamesystem.java:1505)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.delete(FSNamesystem.java:1477)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.delete(NameNode.java:425)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:888)

I think this is a continuation of my running problem. The nodes stay in safe
mode, but won't come out, even after several minutes. I believe this is due
to the fact that it keep trying to contact a datanode that does not exist.
Any suggestions on what I can do?

I have recently tried to reformat the hdfs, using bin/hadoop namenode
-format. From the output directed to standard out, I thought this completed
correctly:

Re-format filesystem in /Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/hadoop-hadoop/dfs/name ?
(Y or N) Y
09/02/15 15:16:39 INFO fs.FSNamesystem:
fsOwner=hadoop,staff,_lpadmin,com.apple.sharepoint.group.8,com.apple.sharepoint.group.3,com.apple.sharepoint.group.4,com.apple.sharepoint.group.2,com.apple.sharepoint.group.6,com.apple.sharepoint.group.9,com.apple.sharepoint.group.1,com.apple.sharepoint.group.5
09/02/15 15:16:39 INFO fs.FSNamesystem: supergroup=supergroup
09/02/15 15:16:39 INFO fs.FSNamesystem: isPermissionEnabled=true
09/02/15 15:16:39 INFO dfs.Storage: Image file of size 80 saved in 0
seconds.
09/02/15 15:16:39 INFO dfs.Storage: Storage directory
/Users/hadoop/hadoop-0.18.2/hadoop-hadoop/dfs/name has been successfully
formatted.
09/02/15 15:16:39 INFO dfs.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at loteria.cs.tamu.edu/128.194.143.170

However, after reformatting, I find that I have the same problems.

Thanks,
SM