From "Brock Judkins" <brockjudk...@gmail.com>
Subject Storing/retrieving time series with hadoop
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 01:03:41 GMT
Hi list,
I am researching hadoop as a possible solution for my company's data
warehousing solution. My question is whether hadoop, possibly in combination
with Hive or Pig, is a good solution for time-series data? We basically have
a ton of web analytics to store that we display both internally and
externally.

For the time being I am storing timestamped data points in a huge MySQL
table, but I know this will not scale very far (although it's holding up ok
at almost 90MM rows). I am aware that hadoop can scale insanely large
(larger than I need), but does anyone have experience using it to draw
charts based on time series with fairly low latency?

Thanks!
Brock