From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zeroconf for hadoop
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:22:26 GMT
Zeroconf is more focused on simplicity then security. One of the
original problems that may have been fixes is that any program can
announce any service. IE my laptop can announce that it is the DNS for
google.com etc.

I want to mention a related topic to the list. People are approaching
the auto-discovery in a number of ways jira. There are a few ways I
can think of to discover hadoop. A very simple way might be to publish
the configuration over a web interface. I use a network storage system
called gluster-fs. Gluster can be configured so the server holds the
configuration for each client. If the hadoop name node held the entire
configuration for all the nodes the namenode would only need to be
aware of the namenode and it could retrieve its configuration from it.

Having a central configuration management or a discovery system would
be very useful. HOD is what I think to be the closest thing it is more
of a top down deployment system.