From Chris Douglas <chri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Combiner run specification and questions
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 03:22:51 GMT
The combiner, if defined, will run zero or more times on records
emitted from the map, before being fed to the reduce. It is run when
the collector spills in the map and in some merge cases. If the
combiner transforms the key, it is illegal to change its type, the
partition to which it is assigned, or its ordering.

For example, if you emit a record (k,v) from your map and (k',v) from
the combiner, your comparator is C(K,K) and your partitioner function
is P(K), it must be the case that P(k) == P(k') and C(k,k') == 0. If
either of these does not hold, the semantics to the reduce are broken.
Clearly, if k is not transformed (as in true for most combiners), this
holds trivially.

As was mentioned earlier, the purpose of the combiner is to compress
data pulled across the network and spilled to disk. It should not
affect the correctness or, in most cases, the output of the job. -C