From "Dan Diephouse" <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Windows Support
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:55:44 GMT
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

> Dan Diephouse wrote:
>
>> I recognize that Windows support is, um, limited :-) But, any ideas what
>> exactly would need to be changed to support Windows (without cygwin) if
>> someone such as myself were so motivated? The most immediate thing I ran
>> into was the UserGroupInformation which would need a windows
>> implementation.
>> I see there is an issue to switch to JAAS too, which may be the proper
>> fix?
>> Are there lots of other things that would need to be changed?
>>
>> I think it may be worth opening a JIRA for windows support and creating
>> some
>> subtasks for the various issues, even if no one tackles them quite yet.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan
>>

> I think a key one you need to address is motiviation. Is cygwin that bad
> for a piece of server-side code?

No.... I guess I was trying to get an idea of how much work it was. It seems
easy enough to supply a WindowsUserGroupInformation class (or a platform
agnostic one).  I wondered how many other things like this there were before
I put together a patch. Seems bad Java practices to depend on shell
utilities :-). Not very platform agnostic...
Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
http://netzooid.com/blog