From "Ryan LeCompte" <lecom...@gmail.com>
Subject Job Tracker/Name Node redundancy
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:09:13 GMT
Are there any plans to build redundancy/failover support for the Job
Tracker and Name Node components in Hadoop? Let's take the current
scenario:

1) A data/cpu intensive job is submitted to a Hadoop cluster of 10 machines.
2) Half-way through the job execution, the Job Tracker or Name Node fails.
3) We bring up a new Job Tracker or Name Node manually.

-- Will the individual task trackers / data nodes "reconnect" to the
new masters? Or will the job have to be resubmitted? If we had
failover support, we could setup essentially 3 Job Tracker masters and
3 NameNode masters so that if one dies the other would gracefully take
over and start handling results from the children nodes.

Thanks!

Ryan