From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Finding longest path in a graph
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:31:51 GMT
James Cipar wrote:

> When you say that you want to avoid cycles, do you mean that the path
> cannot pass through the same vertex more than once, or cannot pass
> through the same edge more than once?

I think I'm interested in paths that don't pass the same vertex more
than once - see below.

> If you mean that it can't pass through the same vertex, I don't think
> there is an easy solution.  If there is a Hamiltonian path in the graph
> , your algorithm will find it, so your algorithm cannot be better than
> the best Hamiltonian path algorithm.  Finding a Hamiltonian path is
> NP-complete, so map reduce will probably not help you.  Perhaps your
> graphs have some extra structure that could be exploited?  There are
> efficient solutions for DAGs, but you specifically said the graph may
> have cycles.

I'm working with web graphs. One type of a graph is where vertices are
URL-s, and edges represent HTTP redirects (or content redirects -
doesn't matter). I'm interested in resolving the final URL, given a
starting URL, so a more precise statement is that I don't need to know
the complete path, only the start and end of a path.

Such graphs are not acyclic - as you are no doubt aware there are pages
that redirect to themselves, or ones that redirect in cycles, sometimes
spanning several intermediate pages.

Another type of a graph is the common web graph where vertices are URL-s
and edges are outlinks. In this case I'm more interested in detecting
cycles of a given size than in finding the longest path.

> If you mean that it can't pass through the same edge more than once,
> then it is probably easier, but I can't imagine how all of it would work
> in map-reduce.  A path that visits each edge exactly once is simple to
> compute, assuming such a path exists.  The path exists in every
> connected graph with either 0, or 2 vertices with odd degree.  So maybe
> you can find connected components, give each vertex a value that is its
> degree rounded down to the nearest integer, and pick the component with
> the largest total value (adding 2 to the value if it has at least 2 odd
> degree vertices).  Then you just have to find the Eulerian path in that
> component (by first eliminating edges from all but two odd-degree
> vertices).

I don't think this helps in my situation, as far as I understand you ...

> Good luck,

This doesn't sound too optimistic ;)

Thanks!

--