From Robert Zubek <rob...@threerings.net>
Subject Re: Storing/retrieving time series with hadoop
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:11:02 GMT
We use Hadoop to warehouse time series data, and run analytics on them.

Being able to parallelize our analytics jobs, and scale up the cluster
as needed for the data, turned out to be a big win.

However, we rolled our own storage solution. At the time when we started
on this project, there were no good solutions for storing time series
(maybe there are right now). I investigated HBase, but it was optimized
for retrieving just the latest values, not the entire time series for
analysis. We also investigated Pig, but it was too early in the
project's life, and didn't support everything we wanted.

As for latency - with S3 it can be significant, depending on how you lay
out your data; we have a separate caching layer just to speed up data
retrieval for graph drawing. I haven't tried HDFS over clustered hard
drives, though; it might be fast enough for your purposes.

Cheers,
Robert