From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auditing and accounting with Hadoop
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:16:02 GMT
The notion of a client/task ID, independent of IP or username seems
useful for log analysis.  DFS's client ID is probably currently your
best bet, but we might improve its implementation, and make the notion
more generic.

It is currently implemented as:

     String taskId = conf.get("mapred.task.id");
     if (taskId != null) {
       this.clientName = "DFSClient_" + taskId;
     } else {
       this.clientName = "DFSClient_" + r.nextInt();
     }

This hardwires a mapred dependency, which is fragile, and it's fairly
useless outside of mapreduce, degenerating to a random number.

Rather we should probably have a configuration property that's
explicitly used to indicate the user-level task, that's different than
the username, IP, etc.  For MapReduce jobs this could default to the
job's ID, but applications might override it.  So perhaps we could add
static methods FileSystem.{get,set}TaskId(Configuration), then change
the logging code to use this?

What do others think?

Doug