From "Aaron Kimball" <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions of proper usage of "key" parameter ?
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:12:41 GMT
To expand a bit on Owen's remarks:

It should be pointed out that in the case of a single MapReduce pass from an
input dataset to an output dataset, the keys into the mapper and out of the
reducer may not be particularly interesting to you. However, more
complicated algorithms often involve multiple MapReduce jobs, where an input
dataset has an MR pass over it, yielding an intermediate dataset which
undergoes yet another MR pass, yielding a final dataset.

In such cases, this provides continuity of interface, where every stage has
both "key" and "value" components. Very often the dataset gets partitioned
or organized in such a way that it makes sense to stamp a key on to values
early on in the process, and continue to allow the keys to flow through the
system between passes. This interface makes that much more convenient. For
example, you may have an input record which is joined against multiple other
datasets. Each other data set join may involve a separate mapreduce pass,
but the primary key will be the same the whole time.

As for determining the input key types: The default TextInputFormat gives
you a line offset and a line of text. This offset may not be particularly
useful to your application.  On the other hand, the KeyValueTextInputFormat
will read each line of text from the input file, and split this into a key
Text object and a value Text object based on the first tab char in the line.
This matches the formatting of output files done by the default
TextOutputFormat.  Chained MRs should set the input format to this one, as
Hadoop won't "know" that this is your intended use case.

If your intermediate reducer outputs more complicated datatypes, you may
want to use SequenceFileOutputFormat, which marshals your data types into a
binary file format. The SequenceFileInputFormat will then read in the data,
and demarshal it into the same data types that you had already encoded.
(Your final pass may want to use TextOutputFormat to get everything back to
a human-readable form)

- Aaron