From Nathan Marz <nat...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Unusual Failure of jobs
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:24:17 GMT
I have been experiencing some unusual behavior from Hadoop recently.
When trying to run a job, some of the tasks fail with:

java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 1.
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.runChild(TaskRunner.java:462)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:403

Not all the tasks fail, but enough tasks fail such that the job fails.
Unfortunately, there are no further logs for these tasks. Trying to
retrieve the logs produces:

HTTP ERROR: 410

Failed to retrieve stdout log for task:
attempt_200811101232_0218_m_000001_0

RequestURI=/tasklog

It seems like the tasktracker isn't able to even start the tasks on
those machines. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

We're looking for an Amazing Software Engineers (+ interns):
http://business.rapleaf.com/careers.html

The Rapleaf Bailout Plan - Send a qualified referral (resume) and we
will award you with $10,007 bailout package if we hire that person.