From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Map/Reduce from web servers
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:47:41 GMT
Allen, Jeffrey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing enterprise system using web services.  I'd like to have an event in
the web service eventually result in a map/reduce being performed.  It would be very desirable
to be able to package up the map reduce classes into a jar that gets deployed inside the war
file for the web service.   (Primarily just to make redeployment easy.)  In effect, I believe
what I'm asking is if there is a way I can stream the map/reduce code (ie, the jar file) down
to the JobTracker.

> Could someone please confirm whether I can do this or not, and if I can, help point me
in the right direction?

> Thanks in advance for any insight...

You could embed the JAR in the WAR as a single resource, stream it out
from there to the filesystem and then upload it. As a feature creep, you
could see if the the copy operations handled jar: as a filesystem URI
which would then enable a streamed upload.

-steve