From Sandeep Dhawan <dsand...@hcl.in>
Subject Detect Dead DataNode
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:35:01 GMT

Hi,

I have a setup of 2-node Hadoop cluster running on Windows using cygwin.
When I open up the web gui to view the number of Live Nodes, it shows 2.
But when I kill the slave node and refreshes the gui, it still shows the
number of Live Nodes as 2.

Its only after some 20-30 mins, that the master node is able to detect the
failure which is then reflected in the gui. It then shows up :

Live Node : 1
Dead Node : 1

Also, after killing the slave datanode if I try to copy a file from the
local file system, it fails.

1. Is there a way by which we can configure the time interval after which
master node can declare a datanode as dead.
2. Why does the file transfer fail when one of the slave node is dead and
masternode is alive.