From "Alex Loddengaard" <a...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Web Proxy to Access DataNodes
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:32:47 GMT
You could also have your developers setup a SOCKS proxy with the -D option
to ssh.  Then have them install FoxyProxy.
The solution you're trying to do will make maintaining access to your
datanodes difficult.  That is, for each new datanode, you'll have to add a
proxy rule to Apache.  With the SOCKS setup, FoxyProxy can be configured to
use regular expressions, hence proxying all requests to any one of your

Googling for "SOCKS proxy ssh" should give you more info on how to get this
up and running.  We used this set up for a hack contest we hosted at
ApacheCon and it worked well.