From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tasktracker startup Time
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:45:38 GMT
Bhupesh Bansal wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I re-started my cluster after some node failures and saw couple of
> tasktrackers not being up (they finally did after abt 20 Mins)
> In the logs below check the blue timestamp to Red timestamp.
> I was just curious what do we do while starting tasktracker that could
> should take so much time ???

> 2008-11-17 10:43:04,757 INFO org.mortbay.util.Container: Started
> org.mortbay.jetty.Server@20b9b538
> 2008-11-17 11:12:38,373 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.JvmMetrics:
> Initializing JVM Metrics with processName=TaskTracker, sessionId=
> 2008-11-17 11:12:38,410 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.metrics.RpcMetrics:
> Initializing RPC Metrics with hostName=TaskTracker, port=47601

Off the top of my head
-DNS lookups can introduce delays if your network's DNS is wrong, but
that shouldn't take so long
-The task tracker depends on the job tracker and the filesystem being
up. If the filesystem is recovering: no task trackers

Next time, get the process ID (via a jps -v call), then do kill -QUIT on
the process. This will print out to the process's console the stack
trace of all its threads; this could track down where it is hanging

View raw message