From Sagar Naik <sn...@attributor.com>
Subject Re: Recovering NN failure when the SNN data is on another server
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:25:47 GMT

Take backup of you dfs.data.dir (both on namenode and secondary namenode).
If secondary namenode is not running on same machine as namenode, copy
over the fs.checkpoint.dir from secondary onto namenode.

start only the namenode . The "importCheckpoint" fails for a valid NN
image. If you want to override NN image by SNN's image , delete the
dfs.name.dir

For additional info :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2585?focusedCommentId=12558173#action_12558173

Pl note I am not an expert.
Just had similar problem and this worked for me

-Sagar