From Pratyush Banerjee <pratyushbaner...@aol.com>
Subject Re: NameNode does not come out of Safemode automatically in Hadoop-0.17.2
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:25:51 GMT
Thanks Lohit,

We were able to clean up the stuff with minimal data loss.

Pratyush
lohit wrote:
> Namenode does not come out of safemode until it gets confirmation from datanodes about
the blocks it has. Namenode has a view of filesystem and its blocks, it expects those blocks
to be reported by datanode until which it decides that the filesystem is not ready to use
yet. You can exit the namenode from safemode and do 'dfs fsck / -files -blocks -locations'
which will tell you the missing blocks and their locations where it expects from. Check if
those nodes are up and running an they have those blocks.
> Thanks,
> Lohit

the edits file in a Hex editor and restart the namenode.

> However after restarting, the namenode went to the safe mode (as expected), but it has
been hours since it is like that, and it has not yet come out of the  safemode.
> We can obviously force it to come out but should it not come out automatically ?
> Even after 12 hours of remaining in safemode the ratio of reported block size is still
stuck at  0.9768.

> Running fsck on / in the hdfs does report about some corrupt files.
>
> What is the  issue which is blocking namenode form coming out of safemode ? If we have
to do it manually (hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave) then what procedure do we follow in the
process to ensure data safety ?