From "tim robertson" <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Internal Architecture writeup
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:37:43 GMT
Hi Ricky,

As a newcomer to MR and Hadoop I think what you are doing is a great
addition to the docs.  One thing I would like to see in this overview
is how JVM's are spawned in the process - e.g. is it 1 JVM per node
per job, or per node per task etc.  The reason being it has
implications about setting up JVM wide in-memory caches for the Maps /
Reducers to utilise (E.g. a big lookup hashtable which the Map will
use).  I assume it is a JVM per task per node to allow the task
tracker to kill the process and restrict memory to a task, but I am no
sure.

Thanks again

Tim