From "tim robertson" <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: output in memory
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:51:54 GMT
I would still store the result in file, and then write a user
interface that renders the output file as required...

How would you know the user is still on the other end waiting to view
the result?  If you are sure, then perhaps the thing that launches the
job could block until it is finished, and then simply open the file
and log it to the console?  In a web app, you could just poll until
the job is finished and then use the file as the model object and just
write a view, assuming you are doing a model view controller type web
app.

If you really want to just System.out it, then:
 - implement a RecordWriter that just does a System.out in the write()
 - extend OutputFormat and in getRecordWriter() return your RecordWriter.

Cheers,

Tim