From "Yih Sun Khoo" <ysk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do I implement a Writable into another Writable?
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:43:47 GMT
Thanks Chris and Joman for your detailed explanations.

Would this be a good example of using a shallow copy? Also I'm trying to
wrap my head around why the shallow copy is needed. You mentioned it is to
eliminate any state from the values the list might have formerly contained.
Could you give me an example of when the deep copy implementation would have
been terrible?

 @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")

*public* ArrayList<String> getNameList() {

*return* (ArrayList<String>) nameList.clone();

}

Also is it common to have instead used a one of the existing writables, like
DoubleWritable, as part of my custom writable. I would imagine in the
readFields method I would call the DoubleWritable's readFields method.

 What would go into (re)using a collection of Text instead of String? Could
I perhaps use an ArrayList<Text> and in the readFields and write methods
call each Text's readFields and write methods appropriately?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Chris Douglas <chrisdo@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

> TupleWritable is not a general-purpose type. It's used for map-side joins,
> where the arity of a tuple is fixed by construction. Its intent is a
> transient type with very, very specific applications in mind.
>
> It sounds like you don't need a general list type, as you don't need to
> worry about encoding the type of object your list contains. Writables are
> *not* supposed to read to the end of the stream they're given; they are to
> consume a full instance from the stream (i.e. it must consume all "its"
> bytes from a stream, even if it ultimately discards them). Given these
> constraints, Writable types of variable size almost always encode their
> length explicitly. As Joman mentioned, your constructor must initialize all
> its elements. Further, readFields must not retain any state from the value
> it formerly contained, so you need to clear the list before you add more
> values to it. This means your getNameList method will need to do a shallow
> copy of its elements if the caller stores a reference to the list.
>
> This should work:
>
>  public void readFields(DataInput in) throws IOException {
>    nameList.clear();
>    score = in.readDouble();
>    final int len = WritableUtils.readVInt(in);
>    for (int i = 0; i < len; ++i) {
>      nameList.add(Text.readString(in));
>    }
>  }
>
>  public void write(DataOutput out) throws IOException {
>    out.writeDouble(score);
>    WritableUtils.writeVInt(out, nameList.size());
>    for (String name : nameList) {
>      Text.writeString(out, name);
>    }
>  }
>
> You can improve your performance by (re)using a collection of Text instead
> of String (since the latter is immutable), but that requires more work. -C
>

> On Oct 19, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Yih Sun Khoo wrote:
>
>  I think when it comes to the TupleWritable being part of a custm writable,
>> you cannot just say tupleWritable.readFields(in) and
>> tupleWritable.write(out)
>>
>> I might be wrong.  Has anyone successfully implemented a TupleWritable
>> with
>> ,say, a DoubleWritable in a custom writable?
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Joman Chu <jomanchu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  hrm, try implementing the read(DataInput in) method, as well as a
>>> blank constructor MyWritable() that fills dummy values into your
>>> instance variables. For example this should be all you need for
>>> read(DataInput in),
>>>
>>> public static MyWritable read(DataInput in) throws IOException {
>>>      MyWritable w = new MyWritable();
>>>      w.readFields(in);
>>>      return w;
>>> }
>>>
>>> EDIT: I was able to sort of replicate your error. In my constructor, i
>>> had my instance variables assigned to null. Make sure you assign them
>>> to new instances of whatever Writable you are using.

> [...]
for example,

>>> https://subversion.umiacs.umd.edu/umd-hadoop/core/trunk/src/edu/umd/cloud9/io/ArrayListWritable.java

use

nameList) {