From "Edward Capriolo" <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hive questions about the meta db
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:33:20 GMT
I am doing a lot of testing with Hive, I will be sure to add this
information to the wiki once I get it going.

Thus far I downloaded the same version of derby that hive uses. I have
verified that the connections is up and running.

ij version 10.4
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://nyhadoop1:1527/metastore_db;create=true';
ij> show tables
TABLE_SCHEM         |TABLE_NAME                    |REMARKS
SYS                 |SYSALIASES                    |
SYS                 |SYSCHECKS                     |

vi hive-default.conf
<property>
  <name>hive.metastore.local</name>
  <value>false</value>
  <description>controls whether to connect to remove metastore server
or open a new metastore server in Hive Client JVM</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
  <value>jdbc:derby://nyhadoop1:1527/metastore_db;create=true</value>
  <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName</name>
  <value>org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver</value>
  <description>Driver class name for a JDBC metastore</description>
</property>

<property>
  <name>hive.metastore.uris</name>
  <value>jdbc:derby://nyhadoop1:1527/metastore_db</value>
  <description>Comma separated list of URIs of metastore servers. The
first server that can be connected to will be used.</description>
</property>

javax.jdo.PersistenceManagerFactoryClass=org.jpox.PersistenceManagerFactoryImpl
org.jpox.autoCreateSchema=false
org.jpox.validateTables=false
org.jpox.validateColumns=false
org.jpox.validateConstraints=false
org.jpox.storeManagerType=rdbms
org.jpox.autoCreateSchema=true
org.jpox.autoStartMechanismMode=checked
org.jpox.transactionIsolation=read_committed
javax.jdo.option.DetachAllOnCommit=true
javax.jdo.option.NontransactionalRead=true
javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver
javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL=jdbc:derby://nyhadoop1:1527/metastore_db;create=true
javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName=
javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword=

hive> show tables;
08/10/02 15:17:12 INFO hive.metastore: Trying to connect to metastore
with URI jdbc:derby://nyhadoop1:1527/metastore_db
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: java.lang.NullPointerException
08/10/02 15:17:12 ERROR ql.Driver: FAILED: Error in semantic analysis:
java.lang.NullPointerException

I must have a setting wrong. Any ideas?