From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Merging of the local FS files threw an exception
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:23:43 GMT
On Oct 1, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Per Jacobsson wrote:
> I ran a job last night with Hadoop 0.18.0 on EC2, using the standard
> small
> AMI. The job was producing gzipped output, otherwise I haven't
> changed the
> configuration.
>
> The final reduce steps failed with this error that I haven't seem
> before:
>
> 2008-10-01 05:02:39,810 WARN org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask:
> attempt_200809301822_0005_r_000001_0 Merging of the local FS files
> threw an
> exception: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Rec# 289050:
> Negative
> value-length: -96

Do you still have the task logs for the reduce?

I suspect are running into http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3647
  which we never could reproduce reliably to pin it down or fix.

However, in light of http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4277
we suspect this could be caused by a bug in the LocalFileSystem which
could hide data-corruption on your local disk leading to errors on
these nature. Could you try running your job with that patch once the
release 0.18.2 is available?

Any information you provide could greatly aid to confirm our above
hypothesis, so it's much appreciated!

Arun