From Songting Chen <ken_cst1...@yahoo.com>
Subject namenode failure
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:36:12 GMT
Hi,
  I modified the classpath in hadoop-env.sh in namenode and datanodes before shutting down
the cluster. Then problem appears: I cannot stop hadoop cluster at all. The stop-all.sh shows
no datanode/namenode, while all the java processes are running.
  So I manually killed the java process. Now the namenode seems to be corrupted and always
stays in Safe mode, while the datanodes complain the following weird error:

2008-10-27 17:28:44,141 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode: Incompatible build versions:
namenode BV = ; datanode BV = 694836
2008-10-27 17:28:44,244 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode: java.io.IOException: Incompatible
build versions: namenode BV = ; datanode BV = 694836
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.handshake(DataNode.java:403)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.startDataNode(DataNode.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.<init>(DataNode.java:190)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.makeInstance(DataNode.java:2987)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.instantiateDataNode(DataNode.java:2942)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.createDataNode(DataNode.java:2950)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DataNode.main(DataNode.java:3072)

  My question is how to recover from such failure. And I guess the correct practice for changing
the CLASSPATH is to shut down the cluster, apply the change, restart the cluster.

Thanks,
-Songting