From "David C. Kerber" <dker...@warrenrogersassociates.com>
Subject Using hadoop as storage cluster?
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:41:42 GMT
Hi -

I'm a complete newbie to hadoop, and am wondering if it's appropriate for configuring a bunch
of older machines that have no other use, for use as a storage cluster on an otherwise windows
network, so that my windows clients see their combined disk space as a single large share?

If so, will I need additional software to let the windows clients see them (like Samba does
for a single machine)?  We don't have a lot of linux experience in our office, but probably
enough to get this going if it's not too complex; mostly with Ubuntu and Fedora.

If hadoop isn't well-suited to this use, or there is something better, I'm open to suggestions....

Thanks
David Kerber
Warren Rogers Associates
(800)-972-7472 x-111