From "Jean-Daniel Cryans" <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of 'dfs.replication'
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:32:20 GMT
Amit,

dfs.replication defines how many time each block of data will be replicated.
In your setup, if you're planning on keeping only one datanode, a value of 1
will reduce the overhead since keeping 2 or more copies of each block would
be useless if you lose your node. More info on how replication works here :
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.18.1/hdfs_design.html#Data+Replication

J-D