From wmitchell <wmitch...@gmail.com>
Subject How does an offline Datanode come back up ?
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:22:47 GMT

Hi All,

Ive been working michael nolls multi-node cluster setup example
(Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux) for hadoop and I have a working setup. I
then on my slave machine -- which is currently running a datanode killed the
process in an effort to try to simulate some sort of failure on the slave
machine datanode. I had assumed that the namenode would have been polling
its datanodes and thus attempted to bring up any node that goes down. On
looking at my slave machine it seems that the datanode process is still down
(I've checked jps).

Obviously im missing something ! Does hadoop look after its datanodes ? Is
there a config setting that i may have missed ? Do I need to create some
sort of external tool to pool and attempt to bring up nodes that have gone
down ?