From "Jimmy Lin" <jimmy...@umd.edu>
Subject Lazily deserializing Writables
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:48:39 GMT
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if it's possible to lazily deserialize a Writable.  That is,
when my custom Writable is handed a DataInput from readFields, can I
simply hang on to the reference and read from it later?  This would be
useful if the Writable is a complex data structure that may be expensive
to deserialize, so I'd only want to do it on-demand.  Or does the runtime
mutate the underlying stream, leaving the Writable with a reference to
something completely different later?

I'm wondering about both present behavior, and the implicit contract
provided by the Hadoop API.

Thanks!

-Jimmy