From "Alex Feinberg" <a...@socialmedia.com>
Subject Re: Is pipes really supposed to be a serious API? Is it being actively developed?
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:22:51 GMT
Hi Marc,

I have myself personally used pipes, but I found it's performance wasn't faster
than Java (on the same issue). I also found a lack of documentation (e.g. I saw
nothing about xdr).

What I'd like to see is an example where you're using pipes to pass a struct
from a mapper to a reducer using xdr (I have used bit arrays/packed structures
to pass data from a mapper to a reducer using native byte order since it's safe
to assume that machines in a cluster would be heterogenous).

Perhaps if pipes saw more exposure it'd be used more frequently.

Thans,

--
Alex Feinberg
Platform Engineer, SocialMedia Networks