From "叶双明" <yeshuangm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: is SecondaryNameNode in support for the NameNode?
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:42:43 GMT
Actually, I hava readed about: The term "secondary name-node" is somewhat
misleading. It is not a name-node in the sense that data-nodes cannot
connect to the secondary name-node, and in no event it can replace the
primary name-node in case of its failure.

But today, I read another article in the hadoop wiki
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/NameNode, which contain: The NameNode is a
Single Point of Failure for the HDFS Cluster. There is support for
NameNodeFailover <http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/NameNodeFailover>, with a
SecondaryNameNode <http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/SecondaryNameNode> hosted
on a separate machine being able to stand in for the original NameNode if it
goes down.

I think it is wrong, please correct it.

http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.17.2/hdfs_user_guide.html#Secondary+Namenode

--