From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: shell special characters and dfs put/get intercations
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:31:42 GMT
On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Frank Singleton <b17flyboy@gmail.com>wrote:

/home/test/Don't call, i will call you !!.txt
> /home/test/Hello there !! {12345}.doc
>
> When I attempt to do a dfs -get with the either double or single quotes
> around the filepath
> I have issues with bash shell interaction (shell expansion,braces etc)

The problem is that there are three levels of expansion going on.
  1. Your shell
  2. The bin/hadoop shell script
  3. HDFS globbing

I would guess that you are making it part way through, but then losing. Of
course the easiest way is to do:

% bin/hadoop dfs -get "Don*t call*.txt"

The other way is to use fuse, write a java program, or add an echo into
bin/hadoop so that you can see what is actually being passed down to the
fsshell and adjust as necessary.

-- Owen