From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Re: scp to namenode faster than dfs put?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:41:58 GMT
While an scp will copy data to the namenode machine, it does *not* store
  the data in dfs, it simply copies the data to namenode machine.   This
is the same as copying data to any other machine.  The data isn't in DFS
and is not accessible from DFS.  If the box running the namenode fails
you lose your data.

The reason put is slower is that the data is actually being stored into
the DFS on multiple machines in block format.  It is then accessible
from programs accessing the DFS such as MR jobs.

Dennis