From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why can't Hadoop be used for online applications ?
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:49:13 GMT
James Moore wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Ryan LeCompte <lecompte@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Camilo,

> Most of the time, I'm working on code where we're just using SQL as a
> second-rate way to serialize and deserialize objects.

Aah, O/R mapping...technology to hide SQL from developers who aren't
deemed competent to understand it. Often seen in conjunction with WS-*
toolkits to hide XML from the same developers.

I am co-authoring a set of slides/a paper on this whole topic that I
will stick up online soon; bits of it surfaced at a ThoughtWorks event
in London last week.  The key concepts are

1. The past
   The whole architecture of Java Enterprise Edition is optimised for a
   deployment of applications over a small cluster of application servers
   with a (clustered) relational database behind the scenes to glue
   everything together.

2. The present
   Social applications, have a scale and a need for large datamining
activities for
   the end users, management, operations and affiliates that cannot be
met by
   this architecture. Hadoop and a distributed filesystem provide some
of the
   solution, but not all.

3. The future
  We propose "Java Cloud Computing Edition", which would be an application
  architecture for future Java applications that was designed for this
world. It would
  start with dynamic machine deployment of a distributed filesystem, run
  hadoop, HBase and the like on top, and have a front end designed to
bind to this
  and scale out. And it would all be Open Source, to avoid getting lost
in JSR committees
  and sabotaged by the app server and database vendors,.

Like I said, I'm still working on the idea. But I like it. And I dont
think trying to push EJB and similar into a world with data kept on
HBase and HDFS is the right approach.

-steve