From Joel Welling <well...@psc.edu>
Subject Problems increasing number of tasks per node
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:41:13 GMT
Hi folks;
  I have a small cluster, but each node is big- 8 cores each, with lots
of IO bandwidth.  I'd like to increase the number of simultaneous map
and reduce tasks scheduled per node from the default of 2 to something
like 8.
  My understanding is that I should be able to do this by increasing
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum and
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum , but doing so does not increase
the number of tasks.  I've been running gridmix with these parameters
set to 4, but the average number of tasks per node stays at 4, with 2
reduce and 2 map.
  Am I missing something?  Do I need to adjust something else as well?

View raw message