From Tim Wintle <tim.win...@teamrubber.com>
Subject Re: Accessing input files from different servers
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:37:56 GMT

> a) Do I need to install hadoop and start reunning HDFS (using start-dfs.sh) in all those
machines where the log files are getting created ? And then do a file get from the central
HDFS server` ?

I'd install hadoop on the machine, but you don't have to start any nodes
there - you can log onto a cluster running elsewhere using the command
line tools to put / get data from the cluster.

From what I recall, this is actually better than running nodes locally
as if you put data on locally, the blocks will tend to be posted to the
local machine.

Tim