From "Arijit Mukherjee" <armukher...@connectivasystems.com>
Subject Questions about Hadoop
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:33:12 GMT

We've been thinking of using Hadoop for a decision making system which
will analyze telecom-related data from various sources to take certain
decisions. The data can be huge, of the order of terabytes, and can be
stored as CSV files, which I understand will fit into Hadoop as Tom
White mentions in the Rough Cut Guide that Hadoop is well suited for
records. The question I want to ask is whether it is possible to perform
statistical analysis on the data using Hadoop and MapReduce. If anyone
has done such a thing, we'd be very interested to know about it. Is it
also possible to create a workflow like functionality with MapReduce?

Dr. Arijit Mukherjee
Principal Member of Technical Staff, Level-II
Connectiva Systems (I) Pvt. Ltd.
J-2, Block GP, Sector V, Salt Lake
Kolkata 700 091, India
Phone: +91 (0)33 23577531/32 x 107