From "晋光峰" <jinguangf...@gmail.com>
Subject How to run hadoop without DNS server?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 02:51:06 GMT
Dear all,

While I configure and use the hadoop framework, it seems that the DNS server
must be used to do hostname resolution (even if i configure the IP address
but not hostname in config/slaves and config/masters file). Because we don't
have local DNS server in our local ethernet, so i have to add the hostname -
IP mappings in /etc/hosts file.

I have two questions about the hostname configuration:
       1) Can we do some configuration in hadoop to avoid hostname
resolution, but use IP address directly?

       2) If I add a new machine to the cluster, it seems that i have to add
the new machines hostname or IP address on each node's config/slaves file.
If the cluster size is too large, this way could be impossible to maintain.
Is there      any simply way to add a node dynamically without modifying all
the other cluster nodes?

Thanks & Regards
--
Guangfeng Jin