From Иван <...@mail.ru>
Subject Re[2]: Timeouts at reduce stage
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:24:21 GMT
Thank you, this suggestion seems to be very close to the real situation. The cluster have already
been left looping such a (relatively) frequently failing mapreduce jobs over a huge period
of time to produce a more clear picture of the problem. And I've tried to investigate this
suggestion more closely when I've read it. After taking a look at Ganglia monitoring system
that's running on that same cluster it became clear that cluster's computing resources apparently
are exhausted. Further step was quite simple and straightforward - just to login to the one
random node and find out the consumer of server's resources. The answer became clear almost
instantly because top and jps commands offered produced a huge list of orphaned TaskTracker$Child
processes consuming tons of CPU time and RAM (in fact, almost all of them). Some other nodes
even have run out of 16G RAM and few GB of swap and stopped responding at all.

This situation apparently doesn't seems normal, I am going to try to repeat such a test with
some simpler jobs (I think it would be something from Hadoop distribution to make sure that
everything is fine with code) to find out more definitely whether this orphaning of forked
processes depends on exact MR job running or not (theoretically it still could be something
wrong with Hadoop/HBase configuration or even maybe with operating system, some additional
installed software or, as it was suggested earlier, hardware).

I would be glad if someone could help me in this process by some advice (googling on this
topic already proved to be hard because of $ being treated as separator and lookup usually
results in materials about real childs). Maybe this situation is quite common and there is
a definite reason or solution?

Thanks!

Ivan Blinkov