From Michael Andrews <mandr...@liveops.com>
Subject Re: Passing TupleWritable between map and reduce
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 23:23:56 GMT

Sorry about the massive code chunk, I am not used to this mail client, I attached the file
instead.

On 8/7/08 4:18 PM, "Michael Andrews" <mandrews@liveops.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am a new hadoop developer and am struggling to understand why I cannot pass TupleWritable
between a map and reduce function.  I have modified the wordcount example to demonstrate the
issue.  Also I am using hadoop 0.17.1.

Is properly constructing the desired tuple.  I am not sure if it is being outputed correctly
by output.collect as I cannot find the field in the OutputCollector data structure.  When
I check in the reduce method the values are always empty tuples.  I have a feeling it has
something to do with this line in the JavaDoc:

TupleWritable(Writable[] vals)
          Initialize tuple with storage; unknown whether any of them contain "written" values.

Thanks in advance for any all help,

Michael