From lohit <lohit...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: namenode & jobtracker: joint or separate, which is better?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:29:44 GMT
It depends on your machine configuration, how much resource it has and what you can afford
to lose in case of failures.
It would be good to run NameNode and jobtracker on their own dedicate nodes and datanodes
and tasktracker on rest of the nodes. We have seen cases where tasktrackers take down nodes
for malicious programs, in such cases you do not want your jobtracker or namenode to be on
those nodes.
Also, running multiple jvms might slow down the node and your process. I would recommend you
run atleast the NameNode on dedicated node.

----- Original Message ----
From: James Graham (Greywolf) <greywolf@searchme.com>
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Friday, August 8, 2008 1:29:08 PM
Subject: namenode & jobtracker: joint or separate, which is better?

Which is better, to have the namenode and jobtracker as distinct nodes
or as a single node, and are there pros/cons regarding using either or
both as datanodes?
James Graham (Greywolf)                                  |
650.930.1138|925.768.4053                              *
greywolf@searchme.com                                  |
Check out what people are saying about SearchMe! -- click below

View raw message