From Mork0075 <mork0...@googlemail.com>
Subject Hadoop also applicable in a web app environment?
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:11:28 GMT
Hello,

i just discovered the Hadoop project and it looks really interesting to
me. As i can see at the moment, Hadoop is really useful for data
intensive computations. Is there a Hadoop scenario for scaling web
applications too? Normally web applications are not that computation
heavy. The need of scaling them, arises from increasing users, which
perform (every user in his session) simple operations like querying some
data from the database.

So distributing this scenario, a Hadoop job would be to "map" the
requests to a certain server in the cluster and "reduce" it. But this is
what load balancers normally do, this doenst solve the scalabilty
problem so far.

So my question: is there a Hadoop scenario for "non computation heavy
but heavy load" web applications?

Thanks a lot