From lohit <lohit...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: EOFException while starting name node
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:49:38 GMT
We had seen similar exception earlier reported by others on the list. What you might want to
try is to use a hex editor or equivalent to open up 'edits' and get rid of the last record.
In all cases, the last record might not be complete so your namenode is not starting. Once
you update your edits, start the namenode and run 'hadoop fsck /' to see if you have any corrupt
files and fix/get rid of them.
PS : Take a back up of  dfs.name.dir before updating and playing around with it.

Thanks,
Lohit

----- Original Message ----
From: steph <steph@conviva.com>
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Monday, August 4, 2008 8:31:07 AM
Subject: Re: EOFException while starting name node

2008-08-03 21:58:33,108 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: Stopping
server on 9000
2008-08-03 21:58:33,109 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode:
java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:178)
    at org.apache.hadoop.io.UTF8.readFields(UTF8.java:106)
    at org.apache.hadoop.io.ArrayWritable.readFields(ArrayWritable.java:90)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSEditLog.loadFSEdits(FSEditLog.java:433)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSImage.loadFSEdits(FSImage.java:759)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:639)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:
222)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSDirectory.loadFSImage(FSDirectory.java:79)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.initialize(FSNamesystem.java:254)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.java:235)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:131)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:176)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:162)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:846)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:855)

Actually my exception is slightly different than yours. Maybe moving
edits file
and recreating a new one will work for you.