From "Arijit Mukherjee" <armukher...@connectivasystems.com>
Subject RE: NameNode formatting issues in 1.16.4 and higher
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:55:37 GMT
Hi

Most likely, it's due to login permissions. Have you set up ssh for
accessing the nodes? This page might be helpful -
http://tinyurl.com/6lz6o3 - contains detailed explanation of the steps
you should follow.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Arijit

Dr. Arijit Mukherjee
Principal Member of Technical Staff, Level-II
Connectiva Systems (I) Pvt. Ltd.
J-2, Block GP, Sector V, Salt Lake
Kolkata 700 091, India
Phone: +91 (0)33 23577531/32 x 107
http://www.connectivasystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Loddengaard [mailto:alexlod@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:17 PM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: NameNode formatting issues in 1.16.4 and higher

First post to the list; excited to be joining the community!

I've been following the getting started guide (<
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GettingStartedWithHadoop>) in hopes of
getting just a single-node Hadoop instance up and running, and I've run
into an issue that I can't seem to find anywhere.

While attempting to format my NameNode for the first time, I'm getting
the following exception:

ERROR namenode.NameNode: java.io.IOException:
> javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed: id: cannot
> find name for group ID 5001
> id: cannot find name for group ID 5221
>
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupI
nformation.java:250)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupI
nformation.java:275)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupI
nformation.java:257)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.setConfigurationPara
meters(FSNamesystem.java:405)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.
java:394)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.format(NameNode.java:759
)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.
java:841)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:858
> )
>
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.setConfigurationPara
meters(FSNamesystem.java:407)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.
java:394)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.format(NameNode.java:759
)
>         at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.
java:841)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:858
> )

Firstly, I'm not familiar with LoginException at all, but after Googling
for a while, most of the issues came about by errors with /etc/groups
and permissions; I couldn't find a solution, though.  What's most
curious is that this issue doesn't come up with 0.15.2, but it does come
up with every later version, including 0.18.0 and trunk.

Anyone have any ideas?  In the meantime I'm going to try to dig in to
org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation along with best
practices for using LoginException.  I'm also going to try and create a
hadoop user and group and run the NameNode format process through that
user.

Thanks ahead of time for pulling me out of the trenches.

Alex
Checked by AVG.
8/25/2008 8:48 PM