From Erik Hetzner <erik.hetz...@ucop.edu>
Subject Re: Cannot get passwordless ssh to work right
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:51:11 GMT
At Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:50:31 -0500,
"Jim Lowell" <jlowell@peoplenetonline.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a 2-node Hadoop cluster up and running on Ubuntu.
> I've already gotten both nodes to run Hadoop as single-node
> following the excellent instructions at
> http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Single-Node_Cluster).

Not really the right forum, but I don’t really know a better one.

> Now I'm trying to convert them to a 2-node cluster and am failing
> because I cannot get passwordless ssh to work. Long story short, the
> slave can currently ssh to the master without being prompted for a
> password, but no matter what I do the master cannot ssh to the slave
> without being prompted for a password. Here's everything I've tried
> so far:
>
> 1.       Uninstalled & installed openssh
> 2.       Diffed sshd_config on both nodes, they have identical settings
> 3.       Regenerated the RSA keys & repopulated them at least a dozen times

Are you using one ssh key or one per machine? The machine you are
sshing *from* must have a copy of the key in ~/.ssh/.

> 4.       Compared ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on both systems and they match

They should only match if you are using only one ssh key & both
machines have a copy of the private key in ~/.ssh/ (see above).

> […]

best,
Erik Hetzner