From Brian Karlak <zen...@metaweb.com>
Subject secondary namenode setup
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:30:59 GMT
Hello All --

We have a 20-node cluster running 0.17.1.  Currently, the secondary
namenode process is running on the same machine as the primary
namenode.  We would like to move it to a separate machine in the
cluster, as recommended.  However, I cannot seem to find much in the
way of documentation on how to do this properly.

I found:

http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/hdfs_user_guide.html#Secondary+Namenode

It is usually run on a different machine than the primary Namenode
since its memory requirements are on the same order as the primary
namemode. The secondary namenode is started by bin/start-dfs.sh on the
nodes specified in conf/masters file.

as well as the "dfs.secondary.http.address" property in hadoop-
default.xml file.

However, this seems a bit confusing.  What is it in conf/masters that
specifies that one hostname should be a master, and the other a
secondary?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can give.

Brian