From "Amber" <guxiaobo1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Using MapReduce to do table comparing.
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:03:52 GMT
I agree with you this is an acceptable method if time spent on exporting data from RDBM, importing
file into HDFS and then importing data into RDBM again is considered as well, but this is
an single-process/thread method. BTW, can you tell me how long does it take your method to
process those 130 million rows, how much is the data volume, and how powerful are your physical
computers, thanks a lot!
From: "Michael Lee" <stinkyminky@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:51 AM
To: <core-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Using MapReduce to do table comparing.

> Amber wrote:
>> We have a 10 million row table exported from AS400 mainframe every day, the table
is exported as a csv text file, which is about 30GB in size, then the csv file is imported
into a RDBMS table which is dropped and recreated every day. Now we want to find how many
rows are updated during each export-import interval, the table has a primary key, so deletes
and inserts can be found using RDBMS joins quickly, but we must do a column to column comparing
in order to find the difference between rows ( about 90%) with the same primary keys. Our
goal is to find a comparing process which takes no more than 10 minutes with a 4-node cluster,
each server in which has 4 4-core 3.0 GHz CPUs, 8GB memory  and a  300G local  RAID5 array.

>> Bellow is our current solution:
>>     The old data is kept in the RDBMS with index created on the primary key, the
new data is imported into HDFS as the input file of our Map-Reduce job. Every map task connects
to the RDBMS database, and selects old data from it for every row, map tasks will generate
outputs if differences are found, and there are no reduce tasks.

>> As you can see, with the number of concurrent map tasks increasing, the RDBMS database
will become the bottleneck, so we want to kick off the RDBMS, but we have no idea about how
to retrieve the old row with a given key quickly from HDFS files, any suggestion is welcome.