From Chris Douglas <chri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Difference between joining and reducing
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:56:47 GMT
Ashish ably outlined the differences between a join and a merge, but
might be confusing the o.a.h.mapred.join package and the contrib/
data_join framework. The former is used for map-side joins and has
nothing to do with either the shuffle or the reduce; the latter
effects joins in the reduce.

The critical difference between the merge phase in map/reduce and a
join is that merge outputs are grouped by a comparator and consumed in
sorted order while, in contrast, joins involve n datasets and
consumers will consider the cartesian product of selected keys (in
both frameworks, equal keys). The practical differences between the
two aforementioned join frameworks involve tradeoffs in efficiency and
constraints on input data. -C