From Chris Douglas <chri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: When does reducer read mapper's intermediate result?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:04:13 GMT
Not quite; the intermediate output is written to the local disk on the
node executing MapTask and fetched over HTTP by the ReduceTask. The
ReduceTask need only wait for the MapTask to complete successfully
before fetching its output, but it cannot start before all MapTasks
have finished. The intermediate output is sorted, so the ReduceTask
only needs to merge the output produced by the map and group by key
(using the grouping comparator). -C