From Deyaa Adranale <deyaa.adran...@iais.fraunhofer.de>
Subject Re: How to control the map and reduce step sequentially
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:29:43 GMT
As far as I know, the reducer has three tasks: fetching results of
mappers, sorting the results, and calling the reduce function.
when some mappers finish their execution, the reducer starts by fetching
their results to save time.
neither sorting nor calling the reduce function could start before all
the mappers have finished and all their results are available locally.

I don't know whether you can prevent copying mappers results before all
mappers finish. Anyway, it would be meaningless.

hope that helped

Deyaa