From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bean Scripting Framework?
Date Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:24:27 GMT
Lincoln Ritter wrote:
>> Why not use jruby?
> Indeed!  I'm basically working from the JRuby wiki page on Java
> integration (http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/Java_Integration).  I'm taking
> this one step at a time and, while I would love tighter integration,
> the recommended way is through the scripting frameworks.
> Right now, I most interested in taking some baby steps before going
> more general.  I welcome any and all feedback/suggestions.  Especially
> if you have tried this.  I will post any results if there is interest,
> but mostly I am trying to accomplish a pretty small task and am not
> yet thinking about a more general solution.
> -lincoln
> --
> lincolnritter.com

Given that Hadoop is planning on making the one-way jump to Java 6 for
version 0.19 (that's my belief on the schedule), you may want to jump
straight in to the Java6 scripting API, which isnt that different from
BSF. If hadoop had out-the-box support for javax.scripting, then you
could run javascript mappers/reducers without any extra jars on the
classpath. Most of the ongoing language development on the JVM using
javax.scripting, including JRuby and Jython...

View raw message