From Joe Williams <...@joetify.com>
Subject Hadoop and Ganglia Meterics
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:51:05 GMT
I have been attempting to get Hadoop metrics in Ganliga and have been
unsuccessful thus far. I have see this thread
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/200712.mbox/raw/%3C475E4FFA.7050007@yahoo-inc.com%3E/)

but it didn't help much.

I have setup my properties file like so:

> [root@hadoop-head-node01 current]# cat conf/hadoop-metrics.properties
> dfs.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
> dfs.period=10
> dfs.servers=127.0.0.1:8649
>
> mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
> mapred.period=10
> mapred.servers=127.0.0.1:8649

And if I 'telnet 127.0.0.1  8649' I receive the Ganglia XML metrics
output without any hadoop specific metrics:

> [root@hadoop-head-node01 current]# telnet 127.0.0.1  8649
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
> !DOCTYPE GANGLIA_XML [
>   !ELEMENT GANGLIA_XML (GRID|CLUSTER|HOST)*>
>       !ATTLIST GANGLIA_XML VERSION CDATA #REQUIRED>
>       !ATTLIST GANGLIA_XML SOURCE CDATA #REQUIRED>
> --SNIP--

Is there more I need to do to get the metrics to show up in this output,
am I doing something incorrectly? Do I need to have a gmetric script run
in a cron to update the stats? If so, does anyone have a hadoop specific
example of this?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.
-Joe